Sunday, February 13, 2011

Preparing for the Challenge

Some people can't live without the comfort of their cell phones.  Having a wealth of personal phone numbers at one's finger tips, and the ability to contact or be contacted at anytime, is an irreplaceable necessity for most individuals living in today's society.  I am not one of those people.

Meet The Thing...





This is one of my possessions that does not get an actual name (as opposed to the car, or the camera... things of some value).  This unfortunate piece of machinery does not deserve a name.  It deserves to burn in hell, nameless, forever questioning its identity the same way it questions its ability to send a basic text message without delay.

My relationship with The Thing has been rough from the start. About a year and a half ago (give or take a few months), in December, I was ready for an upgrade with my cell phone carrier.  At least, I thought I was getting an upgrade.

Yes, I will admit that I was desperately in need of a new phone, and the charming young man at the Sprint kiosk was very convincing. With his winsome smile and charismatic stories of grad-school glory, he obstructed my common sense. I fell victim to the sale, and what a victim I truly was... and would remain for the next year and a half.

Well... I WILL BE A VICTIM NO LONGER! That's right, readers. I am breaking free.

This weekend, I have been preparing for the separation.  An emergency disposable phone was purchased. A land line with an answering machine (children of the '90s, you remember those) has been set up. The necessary Facebook messages are being sent, and a blog has been started.

On Valentine's Day 2011, I am breaking up with my cell phone, and you won't be seeing me with another for a whole year.

2 comments: